By now you’ve probably heard about BPA and how you should avoid it or you’ve seen products advertise that they’re BPA free. But what exactly is BPA and why is it dangerous?
Bisphenol A (BPA) is a chemical found in hard plastics and the coatings of food and drink cans. It is used to make water bottles, baby bottles, medical and dental devices, electronics, sports equipment, and more.
When absorbed into the body, BPA can imitate hormones such as estrogen and have hazardous effects on health. In a recent study by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, they found that 95% of adult and 93% of child urine samples contained traces of BPA. The US Endocrine Society has expressed public concern over the amount of BPA humans are currently exposed to.
Keep reading to learn about the possible health hazards of BPA.
- Scientists have shown that BPA can cause reproductive disorders by affecting egg quality and egg maturation
- Impotence has been linked to BPA exposure among men
- Scientists at the University of Cincinnati reported that BPA can cause heart disease in women and may reduce the efficiency of chemotherapy treatment
- Researchers in California have shown that BPA exposure has been linked to type 2 diabetes
- A study by the Yale School of Medicine found a possible increase in breast cancer risk among women who had been exposed to BPA in the womb
Everyone is susceptible to the hazards of BPA but babies and children are the most sensitive so its very important to limit their exposure to the chemical. Dolphin Blue has always ensured that our toys are healthy for the environment and healthy for kids. Our Green Toys are made from recycled milk containers and are BPA free.
When you’re shopping this holiday season be sure to check packaging on all toys and kitchen products to ensure they’re BPA free and safe for your loved ones!
When it comes to buying toys for your children or grandchildren you have millions of options. Toys are one of the most cherished aspects of childhood, yet each year many children are rushed to emergency rooms due to toy-related injuries So, how do you successfully browse the toy aisle to find a fun and safe toy for your child?
Dolphin Blue has compiled a short guide to help you find the right toy for your tot:
- Paint on toys should always be lead-free
- Toys should be made of non-toxic materials in case they are accidentally ingested
- Fabric on toys should be flame resistant or flame retardant
- Toys should be washable in case they become soiled during play
- Check that noisy toys are not noisy enough to cause hearing damage to your child
- Toys should not have small parts or strings that could be dangerous to a child if they break or come loose
- Make sure a toy is intended for your child’s age group by checking the packaging or label
- Be cautious of older toys or hand-me-down toys as they may not have been subject to current safety standards and could contain parts or paint that is dangerous to your child
Dolphin Blue took all of these guidelines into account when choosing the toys that we carry in our store. Green Toys are made from 100% recycled milk jugs and re-processed into HDPE, one of the safest plastics around. They are designed without any external coatings to eliminate the danger of lead paint and contain no traceable amounts of phthalates or BPA.
Green Toys are not only safe for your children, they’re also safe for the environment. Every Green Toy is sustainably made in the U.S.A. and completely recyclable. On average, every pound of recycled milk jugs used to make Green Toys saves enough electricity to power a laptop for a whole month!
Check out the Green Toys YouTube channel to see their toys in action and visit our online store to purchase your next children’s toy.