With Mother’s Day being this Sunday, we wanted to give you some fun and interesting facts about Mother’s Day.
As the namesake of Dolphin Blue, here are a few fun facts about dolphins:
- They can jump up to 30 ft.
- They can have between 80 – 250 teeth
- Dolphins can consume up to 30 lbs of fish per day
- They have the ability to hear 10 times better than humans
- Dolphins live in social groups from five to several hundred
- Their pregnancies can last from 9-17 months depending on species
- They can live up to 60 years
- Dolphins communicate using clicks, whistles, and other vocalizations
Last week, you may have tuned in to Discovery Channel’s annual Shark Week which kicked off with a two-hour documentary titled, “Megalodon: The Monster Shark Lives”. The megalodon, a prehistoric shark from the Miocene era, could grow more than 50 feet long and dwarf even the largest great white shark swimming in today’s ocean. Unfortunately, Discovery Channel’s megalodon documentary was more of a mockumentary in the sense that its scientist were really actors and the 67 foot long megalodon they were chasing (nicknamed Submarine) was not really terrorizing folks off the coast of South Africa because megalodons haven’t existed for millions of years.